Wednesday, May 18, 2011

The Big Shoot is Coming Up!

My current set of equipment and in the background,
my tabletop studio I've made on the kitchen table.
So, with the frenzy of activity over here in Two Fish world getting more promotions and what not set up, I am also preparing for an important photo shoot for myself. Now, there isn't any thing great coming from this, nor am I going to see Major League Photographer scouts there. However, I am going to get a taste at event photography (something I hate never done) and good test of how long I can shoot--both physically and equipment wise.

Tomorrow, May 19th 2011, is the Hooters of Cumberland Swimsuit Contest (http://www.hooters.com/EventDetails.aspx?event_id=23346&store_id=56&service_key=007)! And Two Fish will be out taking pictures for most of the day. Hoping that I'll be able to get some candids leading up to the event and then be ready to shoot the main event at 8 PM. The weather(see here) is looking good for the day and that should make for a somewhat easier time there.

Mentally, I'm pretty prepared for this. I've been studying all that I can about my camera, the flash, the type of lenses I'm looking to use for which parts of the day. I've just got to do it now. Still a little unsure of using the flash off camera or not with my radio transmitters or not. It'll just be more equipment and pieces to keep up with. From what I have been studying--fewer pieces the better. As well, there is the issue of the flash. Now there is nothing wrong with it. It's brand new out of the box practically. However, for event photography it's almost mandatory to have a diffuser for it. Now its not mandatory I USE the diffuser but if I end up in a situation that bouncing the flash or having nothing to bounce the flash off of I'll need a diffuser to help bounce the flash around. Bottom line, a diffuser will help with any hard-edged shadows created by the flash. I'm sure, like my homemade softbox which I will showcase in a later post, that I will end up fashioning a diffuser that even Macguyver will be proud of.

So what's left before tomorrow?
Well, packing the gear and making sure everything is charge and I have backups of some supplies. Figure out what I'm doing about a card to hand out. I know, that should've been higher on the pre-planning list. Also, that I get a good night's sleep. This anticipation has been throwing me off. Clothes! I should be dressed for it and after finding out a little trivia behind what photographers where black I'll be preparing some nice dress blacks to wear. Ah yes, the anecdotal trivia about the photographers and black--it's not light reflecting material. So when looking into the eye piece of the camera you're not picking up any stray reflections of light. As well, you're not as easily reflective in the objects you're taking pictures of.

Well, I think I've ranted long enough about this. Time I up date the site to show this post off and relax for the evening before prepping and packing.

Until the uploads start tomorrow,
    Two Fish

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Share

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More